- Rooipoort is situated on the transition zone between the Karoo, Kalahari and grassland zones and boasts 32km of riverine habitat along the banks of the Vaal River.
- At more than 40 000 hectares in size, the reserve is one of the largest private reserves in South African and is listed as a South African Natural Heritage Site. Home to 4 600 bushman petroglyphs, the reserve offers peace, tranquillity and an opportunity to reconnect with nature.
- The reserve’s biodiversity is impressive with 14 species of antelope, zebra, giraffe and a wide variety of small mammals and reptiles. Birds of riverine and arid areas abound.
- Rooipoort progressive conservation philosophy demonstrates that wildlife has more than merely an aesthetic value. One of its most notable wildlife management strategies includes the capture and sale of live game to reintroduce species into other conservation areas. It is amongst the largest private suppliers of wildlife to reserves and game farms in southern Africa. The latest and most effective methods in game capture are practiced – some of which have been developed on the reserve.
- Rooipoort has played a pivotal role in ensuring the survival of several species, most notably the black wildebeest which was threatened with extinction in the 1940s.
- The koppie at Bushman’s Fountain is a major rock art site and can be climbed to view literally thousands of petroglyphs, including an engraving of a flamingo, have been recorded along this andesite ridge adjacent to a spring.
- A notable feature on Rooipoort is the historical Shooting Box built in 1899. It was built from a ‘kit’ shipped over from England and transported to the farm by ox wagon. It is a little historical gem which can be booked as a meeting venue and for accommodation.
- Situated 63km west of Kimberley on the N8.
- Shooting box – Sleeps 12 people in 6 rooms x 2 single beds in each room, central kitchen and dining room, bathrooms.
- Box Cottage – Sleeps 4 people in two bedrooms (2 x single beds in each room), kitchen, bathroom, dining room.
- Garden Cottage – sleeps 4 people in two bedrooms and bathroom, no kitchen used for overflow from other accommodation only.
- Luxury Tented Safari camp – 8 tents – each tent sleeps 2 people comfortably. Central boma, dining room.